The goal is to allow healing by addressing the imbalances that cause disease.
Functional Medicine is significantly different from Conventional Medicine. Rather than treating symptoms with prescriptions, Functional Medicine looks for underlying causes of disease. The goal is to allow healing by addressing the imbalances that cause disease.
This approach to medicine requires a partnership between provider and patient. Please do not expect to be passive. Healing takes work, and most of the work is done by YOU. The physician’s job is to educate and guide.
Your treatment with Dr. Yvonne can be divided into 2 main phases:
1. Initial Evaluation: The first 2 visits include a thorough history, review of your health concerns, determination of appropriate lab studies, initial lab review and recommendations on diet, supplement, and lifestyle changes.
2. Ongoing Treatment: Subsequent visits are individualized. Once you are on your way to improved health, visit frequencies are individualized based on your health needs. When you are new in the program with changing needs, every 6-12 weeks is anticipated. At these visits Dr. Yvonne will review your progress on the treatment plan, along with any follow-up test results, and make additional recommendations as necessary.
Becoming a patient: Dr. Yvonne offers complementary telephone consultations to make sure her practice is a good fit for you. The only requirement to schedule the phone consultation is to review her practice policies and costs of treatment. Just look for a link to the consultation scheduler at the bottom of the Costs of Treatment page.
Prior to your appointment make sure to:
- Log-in to the patient portal using the email link provided you
- Complete your personal information in the patient portal (contact information, allergies, current medications and supplements)
- Print and complete the questionnaires emailed to you by Dr. Yvonne
- Gather and organize your health records
What to bring to appointment:
- Health documents from other providers
- Recent lab reports from the past year
- Completed questionnaires
- Current supplements you take–bring the BOTTLES for Dr. Yvonne to review
- Signed Acknowledgement of Practice Policies
What to expect at your first appointment:
- A thorough history, starting at birth, looking for clues to your current health issues
- A review of your prior treatments and evaluations
- A review of your current diet and habits
- A thorough physical exam that includes body-composition analysis, pH measurement and other vital clues of your nutrition and health status
- A review of your current activity level and exercise recommendations
- A discussion of what your ideal diet should be
- A review of your current supplements and medications with possible suggestions of changes
- A plan for recommended testing to further investigate your health concerns